Pages

5.22.2014

zucchini shrimp with tomato and bell peppers

I just made this for myself for lunch today -- it's easy, pretty quick, healthy and packed with veggies, and a great summertime meal! My plan was to make this for dinner one night to serve over rice or pasta with the shrimp prepared separately (John and the kids can't have shrimp... which means more for me), but I just couldn't wait. I'm slightly embarrassed to say I ate the entire plate of food. But if I were to double up on tomatoes and zucchini and serve it over rice, it would easily feed a family of four! I made this meal in two pans; I'm not sure how you'd make it in one without changing the texture and altering the flavor somewhat, but if you can figure it out, go for it. Cook/prep time was about fifteen minutes total.

This is slightly adapted from this recipe.

Ingredients:
Olive oil for sauteing
1 zucchini, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. comino
1 tsp. basil
2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 lb. precooked frozen shrimp

Heat your oil and saute the zucchini for about three minutes on each side until golden. Remove from pan.

While you're sauteing the zucchini, in a separate pan, heat the olive oil and add your tomato, garlic, dried seasonings, and salt. Saute for about five minutes, stirring occasionally, then add your frozen shrimp. (I'm lazy and didn't thaw mine, and it didn't make a difference to the texture.) Cover and simmer just until the shrimp is heated through. There will be a lot of liquid -- remove from heat, drain and SAVE the liquid.

Meanwhile, once you've removed the zucchini from the other pan, add the bell pepper and saute on medium-high until the edges get nice and brown and charred-looking. Pour the tomato/shrimp liquid over the peppers; continue to simmer on medium-high until the liquid has evaporated. (I didn't want that much liquid on my plate, but also didn't want to waste all that flavor.)

Once the liquid has evaporated, toss all of the ingredients together and enjoy! You could easily add another zucchini and tomato to this without doubling the shrimp, and it would be just as tasty. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails