Pages

9.15.2012

simplifying

The purpose of this blog, in the beginning, was to have a way to record motherhood. To record what we do on a daily basis, the cute little things that my kids say, and most importantly, my emotions and thoughts about life. In the past, I've hopped on the bandwagon of wanting a lot of followers, and I admit that my heart does flutter a bit whenever I notice my numbers going up, but it's never been my main purpose or focus and I want it never to be. I feel that lately, since my audience has widened, it's been hard for me to be honest. Not that I'm hiding anything, but its been hard for me to sit down and just write how I feel or write the thoughts that go through my head when I'm lying in my bed trying to fall asleep at night.

I used to write all the time when I was younger. I would write from the deepest part of me. I dove so deeply into how I felt and recorded every passing thought, that when I read my old blog, I don't even remember feeling that way. Some of the thoughts that I wrote down surprise me today because I didn't know that's how I felt. That's what I want this blog to be. I want to be able to write. I want to be able to find a balance between keeping this a parenting blog, and being able to share my thoughts about life in general. I mean, I have so much more to talk about than diapers and potty training and sleep routines and I want to be able to share all that, too.

Recently I got rid of my personal Facebook page, and then I made my Twitter account private again, and I made my Instagram private and then un-privatized it because I like followers but now I've stopped following some people I don't know and I think follow-for-follow is the dumbest thing in the world and I'm considering making it private again. I mean, I really want to simplifty, and what about that is actually simple? I hate social media etiquette. And so, because the main goal of this blog isn't followers or traffic, I'm going to switch some things around to get my writing-self in a good vibe. I'm going to take most everything down except for the writing & photography part. That's what this blog is. It's not a reality show or a DIY segment on HGTV (although I do enjoy sharing crafty and housey things). It's a journal. I want to go back to that. I miss writing.

Simplify.

1 comment:

  1. I used to follow you back in the old xanga days (&c clearly I still follow you...) and loved everything you wrote. You are so talented at expressing things and if I could encourage you at all to simplify and go back to that, DO IT. There was such a beauty to your vulnerability and the way you phrased things. Your observances make people think and see things.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails