Pages

6.28.2023

i would not mind a ghost or two

I was just thinking

don't they deserve to be here?

Holding hands and gazing at the multitude 

"Look, Lovey

look at what we started

when we decided to join hearts all those years ago

look at all the love gathered here:

made, chosen, lost, 

but mostly, sustained."


Just so you know, 

someday 

I plan on being there. 

I plan on making little windows through the clouds,

coming down like molecules of god light

or tip-toeing among the shadowy dreams of my

children's children's children, like:

"Hey there - don't mind me. 

But let me tell you about where you come from,

at least what I know of it."


I plan on watching with a curious smile, 

plan on whispering in their ears

in that whoosh of a disembodied voice.

"You can go on and on, 

it's amazing how you can go on

when you consider

all that has been beautiful

along the way."



I plan on watching delicately

and fluttering their curtains 

or the tongue of a candle flame,

and creaking gentle footsteps upon their stairs.

I do hope it doesn't scare them.



And honestly, I would not mind a ghost or two

looking on with pride

at what has grown and rooted and unfurled

the knowledge passed down in various tomato gardens 

and in the way a little boy casts his fishing line

and the loving preparation of potato candy and 

cheese pepper and onions spread on crackers.

Yes, I hope they are watching

and one of these days

I'd soon like a message from home.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails